Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Beginning

This is the beginning of something new - for me, anyway. My first blog. I want to keep track of all the new and varied experiences I'm likely to encounter as I spend my time on the African continent. I'm going there to attempt to be of service at a school that is getting financial support from a Canadian foundation. I'm also going there because it has been a long time dream to be in the land of my forefathers. I'm fortunate that I can wed my desire for meeting new people and seeing new places to a larger cause than merely fulfilling my wanderlust. Working in a school where young minds are being prepared for the future, where teachers are learning to adapt to new technologies presented to them and where parents are doing their utmost to put their children in the path of opportunity; is an awesome, challenging task that I believe will be extremely gratifying. I know I'm going to learn a lot on many different fronts.


Just to practice, I've thrown a picture of my Ontario winter environment that I may miss once the weather in SA starts to heat up, though it is winter there now.

4 comments:

  1. Oh My Gosh Karen! I've had an ongoing fascination to Africa for decades & have felt a yearning to be there. I must have lived there in a past life. The mere fact that someone I know is going to be there is tremendously exciting for me.

    Thanks so much for sending me this blog.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know how kids in a car will say, "Are we there yet?"

    Well - I'm feeling like that waiting for your next blog entry! :-)

    There are so many things that I'm interested in hearing about:

    - where is the school?....in the country? city? near which major city? (want to find you on google map or google satellite if possible)
    - are you living at the school?
    - what is your schedule?
    - how much freedom/flexibility do you have? (ex to travel?)
    - what is the weather like?
    - where do you get your meals? How is it for a vegatarian?
    - what computer access do you have? Do you have your own laptop computer?
    - are the any particular places you plan to see/things you plan to do? My fascination is with 'wild Africa' - whatever there is that's as close to how it was, say 100 years ago.

    You're probably pretty exhausted after that trip. I'm very much looking forward to coming on your journey with you Karen.

    xo Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so recent, yet so long ago. i wonder where you will go next. fellow wanderer from common origins, neighboring hoods. it is so amazing to see your life lived, and reflect on mine at the same time. so many paths we've crossed "without knowing". from the start. holding all this, & looking at our yearbook pictures. it is like seeing in to the future. somehow profoundly kindly and comfortingly so.

    july 2010, i was in the midst of extended reeling, 3 months back from 3 months on Saint Croix recuperating from surgery and radiation, in Seattle. i made one humble post on my blogspot http://www.anupdateonmarty.blogspot.com/2010_07_01_archive.html

    july to july. where will we be this july? now shared journeys. blessed.

    ReplyDelete