Monday, August 9, 2010

First Days in Africa


August 9

I can hardly believe I am here. I arrived in East London where my feet first touched African soil after so many hours in the air and at airports. This was where I would meet another Canadian volunteer and where our African driver, a man I learned who was busy using his skills, ingenuity and resources to develop opportunities for young people, would pick us up and take us to Queenstown.

East London is on the Indian Ocean side of South Africa. Seeing my eagerness at glimpsing the magnificence of the waves and the water, our driver graciously made a small detour to let me take some pictures and to see the ocean up close and personal. We drove through town, which was much larger than our destination, but not a metropolis like Johanesburg. As we drove, my ears caught the melodious sounds of a
choir harmonizing in that joyous South African way that I associate with Ladysmith Black Mombazo. Too bad my camera was out of reach at that moment. When we stopped by the oceanside I climbed over the small wall and went to the waters edge. It was then that I truly marveled that I was actually in Africa, the land of my forefathers.

When we got to our destination in Queenstown, I was pleasantly surprised to find a very large and well-appointed room that would be mine. The other two women had agree to let me have the best of the three rooms owing to my status as a senior citizen. Well.... getting old has some rewards! There is a big picture window that looks out on the enclosed yard with shrubs around the periphery and a big tree under which there are table and chairs f
or eating outdoors. The room has it's own bathroom complete with a shower and a separate tub that is long enough to stretch my legs out full. We each have our own rooms and share the kitchen, dining and living room area, all of which are bright, spacious and comfortable.

Although it is winter here, the temperature was in the low 20's. It seems the back of winter has already been broken, though as I write this we are having a bit of a cold spell. There is no central heating as we have in Canada. The buildings are designed for the 40+ degree temperatures to come... they retain coolness. It means you need warm indoor slippers. I brought slipper socks as well as slippers. You must have warm sleeping wear as well as something cozy to wear in the house too. The hoodie that I brought seems to be doing the trick. Long underwear or tights are a necessity. At times it's warmer outside than in so dressing in layers is key to comfort and staying healthy.

After a few introductions and social amenities I retired -- or should I say crashed -- for the evening. I was beat. I had been nodding off in the car during the ride through Queenstown and didn't get to see much. I didn't know what I'd be doing for the long weekend, before starting the job, but the next couple of days would be full of more physical activity than I ever would have expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment